Author Topic: Selden cam cleats  (Read 2446 times)

Rod Shiers

Selden cam cleats
« on: 01 Jul 2020, 21:15 »
Sailing again and the old problems are still there. My jib cam cleats will only hold the sheet when the rope is exactly in line with the cams. If I want to sheet the jib from the windward side of the boat (not unreasonable) the cams don't grip the rope. Has anyone else had this problem and how is it cured?
Many thanks
Rod

Graham W

• Global Moderator
  • Demigod
Re: Selden cam cleats
« Reply #1 on: 01 Jul 2020, 21:35 »
Are the cleat jaws opening and closing smoothly? Friction in the jaw pivot pins can stop the cleats from gripping properly.  I had this problem with the Barton version but I can’t remember whether I solved it by disassembling them or by replacing them altogether.  Also, check that the teeth of the jaws are still in good order. Maybe wear is the culprit?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Rod Shiers

« Reply #2 on: 13 Jul 2020, 10:04 »
Hi Graham,
Thanks for your response. On Saturday I made an interesting discovery. I swapped the jib sheets to use the inner pair (normally used for the lazy jacks halliard, and topping lift). They held perfectly. I noticed the jaws on the outer pair were not as sharp -surprising if they have worn as the boat has only had light use for two seasons. I'll use this pair for the rest of the year and see how they wear.
Regards
Rod

Julian and Karen

« Reply #3 on: 25 Jul 2020, 09:54 »
We replaced the Selden jib cleat on one side last year with the equivalent Allen one as a controlled experiment. The Selden ones had slipped from new when the sheet was not pulled straight even though they are 2:1. This was based on having Allen cleats on my Solo for 10 years with no issues. The new Allen one never slipped so for this year we changed the other one - and beating in 25 knot gusts last week neither slipped even when sheeted in from the windward side. The only thing I am not sure about is if the holes are in quite the same positions as Swallow made the changes.