BRe Centreboard Pivot Pin - Diameter

Started by Stuart Roy, 31 Jul 2020, 08:18

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart Roy

Please can anyone advise the correct diameter and specification for the centreboard pivot pin on a Bay Raider Expedition? 

The one just removed for replacement appears to be very slack in the support hollows and centreboard hole, but that may be just because it is severely corroded with significant wastage of material. 

Thanks for any info you can provide.

Peter Cockerton

Stuart

One for the yard i think, one call and a replacement of the correct size assured.
A mod was introduced on this hull many years ago which effectively created "Book-end brackets" to secure the pin and prevent lateral movement, if not fitted i think the yard provided the mod kit FOC on request.

Peter C
Bayraider 20 mk2
Larger jib set on bowsprit with AeroLuff spar
USA rig
Carbon Fibre main boom with sail stack pack
Epropulsion Spirit Plus Outboard

Stuart Roy

Peter

You are absolutely right, the book-end brackets are fitted to this boat (no. 35) and work very well.  There is no significant corrosion on them after 5 seasons so they can be re-fitted with a new pin.

I have asked the yard for the correct diameter of the pin by email, but must have hit holiday time in Wales as I am still waiting for a reply, hence the request to other BRe owners who might have had to source a replacement.

Stuart   

Graham W

Stuart,

On my BR20 the pivot pin is stainless 316 rod, 14mm diameter.  It's probably no different on a BRe.  I expect that the yard buys it by the metre and then angle grinds it to the required length.  You can buy lengths on eBay for very little.

I'm amazed at the terrible state of your old pin and it would be interesting to know its remaining diameter.  Do you have corrosion on stainless fittings anywhere else under the boat, such as on the keel bands or the retaining brackets for the pivot pin?  My pin is still as shiny and new-looking as when it was installed ten years ago.  Mind you, Turaco has spent a lot of its life on a trailer instead of being moored somewhere.
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 'Turaco III'

Stuart Roy

Graham

Many thanks for providing confirmation of the pin dimension.  I have put a piece of 14mm 316 stainless on order.

The pin from the boat is now wasted to around 12mm in diameter but I can see right through it in a couple of places.  I do not know if this was the original pin or a cheap replacement as I have not owned the boat from new.

The post about the pin is the third I have published about the degradation of the stainless steel on this boat.  The first post concerned the stainless steel runners, the second about the bailers and the third about the pin.

Regarding these posts, Bay Raider owners have kindly explained and debated the matter of why this boat might be more severely affected than others and I am grateful for all the advice received.  The only new factor that has emerged recently is that a boat moored about 50 yards away from mine for two seasons was using "electric antifouling" which sounds very ominous. 

It has been a long job, but at last the bailers have been replaced, the stainless keel bands have been removed and are being replaced with pultruded GRP strips and the pin is on order.  Where stainless steel is used again it is being isolated as far as possible by the use of epoxy coatings.  There is going to be very little exposed stainless steel under the water on this boat by the time it is re-launched.  I would have liked to try a bronze pin but have not found any available at a suitable diameter.   

Stuart   

Sea Simon

Oh dear!
I too hadn't twigged this was the same boat, sorry to hear of this further problem. To be expected, I suppose?

That is an unusually badly corroded pin. Imo. How old?

You mentioned
"The only new factor that has emerged recently is that a boat moored about 50 yards away from mine for two seasons was using "electric antifouling" which sounds very ominous. "

Google "impressed current anti fouling systems" and you will get plenty of info. Normally on larger commercial vessels and structures. They really work well.
There is a much smaller, lower power version for yachts too. Name escapes me.

There also impressed current cathodic protection systems, to prevent corrosion of steel structures.

Faults/poor maintenance and/or operations can cause significant issues. I've seen them.
Difficulty  would be in proving cause, especially if originated from a third party system.

You say "was using" has that boat now departed? Why?

Personally, I'd move my boat, away to a different mooring, in another part of the harbour!

You may get some sympathy from an educated Harbour Master, or more likely the port engineer?
Who maintains the moorings in use? Are they seeing anything unusual?

Good luck. Keep us posted, very interested.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Stuart Roy

Simon

Thank you for your interesting contribution.

This 2015 BRe has now done 5 summer seasons afloat and is ashore for this season to replace the underwater stainless steel.

The boat moored nearby for two seasons with "electric antifouling" is currently in the owner's driveway pending a sale - he is now elderly (over 90) and has said he will be giving up.

The moorings are surveyed every year.  I was notified that my mooring chain was in a poor state and so I had it replaced for this season, but I did not see it before it was renewed.  Due to the pandemic travel restrictions and the time it has taken to do the work on the boat, I have had to let the mooring go to another boat owner, so I can't comment on how the mooring chain is lasting.

Stuart       

Sea Simon

fwiw - mine has now done 3 seasons afloat in SW for approx 6 months/year.
Often earthed to the river bed via a stainless "storm chain" (directly attached to the main mooring riser chain, of galv MS), but not always.
No stainless corrosion issues on the boat...so far.

Good riddance to the gent with "electric antifouling"!
Hopefully...the end of your problems?

Improperly adjusted/operated commercial antifouling systems can cause corrosion issues (Although my experience is generally with the need to antifoul internal surfaces, such as cooling water systems etc.).
As can "impressed current cathodic protection systems".

I would try to get some feed back on your mooring chain replacement.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.