The Epropulsion Spirit XS - A Horse for our Course?

Started by Ray S, 16 Oct 2019, 10:21

Previous topic - Next topic

|

Ray S

These are all great refinement ideas aren't they.  Have managed somehow for four years with my BRe quite happily as the motor is already quantum leap over petrol for my type of use - ie. as an auxiliary.  I alternate between two batteries , but never had to use more than one for any one trip. But having two enables you to drive the first one harder and faster. Now with a new eProp on a BC21 so looking forward to see how that goes!

Graham W

The difference between petrol and electric is that I would use petrol only when I really needed to (if I could get it to fire up).  I would happily use electric all day for peace and quiet and absence of smell, if only the batteries would last that long!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

frwright

Quote from: Graham W on 25 Jul 2024, 11:14
The difference between petrol and electric is that I would use petrol only when I really needed to (if I could get it to fire up).  I would happily use electric all day for peace and quiet and absence of smell, if only the batteries would last that long!
I have found since dumping my Honda 5hp for an Epropulsion Spirit that I motor far more often than I did with the gas motor.  I also poke up narrow and shallow creeks where the wind is blanked by the trees on shore.  As you said, motoring is very pleasant when it is quiet and vibration-free.  That I would motor more is a surprise to me given my range anxiety with the electric.  But once I had a good idea of my actual range and duration, there is a lot less anxiety.

In any case, I'd rather have range anxiety (which I can plan around) than starting anxiety (which was unpredictable).

Fred W
Stuart Mariner 19
Albemarle Sound, North Carolina, USA

Sea Simon

"In any case, I'd rather have range anxiety (which I can plan around) than starting anxiety (which was unpredictable)."

Very well put sir!

I'm very pleased with my eprop, but only used for my tender. It would have no chance with my bc26.
Range/duration much better than expected. And I have now figured out how to charge on board at a reasonable rate.
Replacing a Honda 2.3.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

|