BC 26 advice please?

Started by Sula2270, 04 Feb 2021, 20:21

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham W

Mr1,

As long as you have a reasonably robust mid-sized tow car, you shouldn't be too daunted by the idea of trailering such a big boat.  With a bit of forward planning, a reasonable slipway and help from people who know what they are doing (especially volunteers off this forum, depending on where you launch) it's well doable.  And the benefits of taking your boat by car to an entirely new cruising ground for a week or two are enormous, compared to being stuck within a radius of your home port.

Nick Orchard

Jonathan is correct that the BC26 is cat C, and I also had the same conversation about 4 years ago with Matt about it possibly being uprated to Cat B, but this has never happened. I think the main issue was to do with the height of the bridge deck between the cockpit and the companionway, which is regarded as too low to prevent water entering down below in the event of swamping from behind. The washboards are also not currently able to be fixed in place but that would be an easy fix. I can't see that a few inches on the bridge deck would make much difference to its seaworthiness, particularly bearing in mind the completely open transom and self-draining cockpit. There may also be a stability issue but I don't know what that was. I think the main problem with the RCD rating is that the novelty of the BC26 design doesn't fit the standard yacht design template that's used to make the assessment. It doesn't seem to affect the insurance which I thought it might, as mine is covered for the usual UK waters plus channel from Brest to Elbe, the same as Cat A and Cat B boats might have. I've not had it out in extreme weather (and don't intend to if I can help it!) but it doesn't have a problem coping with a F6, and it's also surprisingly dry, very rarely shipping water into the cockpit, and I've sailed many much bigger boats that seem designed so soak the crew every other wave.
Joy rides available from Torquay any time.
Nick Orchard
BC26 008 Luminos II - Torquay

Sea Simon

As well as a BC 26, this Terhi 4110 is also an RCD Cat C; so is my BRe.
For those who don't know, Terhi are a long-established, very reputable, large manufacturers of ABS plastic boats (generally of a type similar to my illustration. I have a smaller version as a tender; it's well made.). Terhi are based in Finland.

Some "race officials" at a Yott club near here have expressed disquiet at me proposing to make coastal/passage races in my "only" Cat C craft. Hereabouts rarely further than Fowey>Falmouth/Plymouth (Dartmouth or Salcombe at "worst").
They also proposed that I carried a life raft.

.....And I had already modified my lower washboard, so as to secure it in place!

In any event, since Brexit, the RCD has now been superseded by the...
UK Recreational Craft Regulations 2017 (RCR) SI 2017 737.
"The Regulations, in their current form, came into force on the UK's official Exit Day from EU: 31 January 2020.  Prior to Brexit, however, the UK applied the European Recreational Craft Directive (RCD) whose dates are shown below. As the dates explain, there is a transition between the UK and EU regulations and markings."

Essentially, the RCD is, and was...b0ll0x. Rather like the CE or Marine Equipment Directive "Wheel mark" schemes?

Not saying that the RCR is any better, I have no idea!

My point is, that some people can try to make life difficult on the basis of this nonsense. Beware?

I would be very disappointed if my "Cat C" BC 26 faced similar issues.

Meanwhile, looking forward to discovering if they have updated 2021  NOR & SI's to current regs ????
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Paul Beardsell

BayCruiser 23 as alternative to the 26?

Yes, all the above seems good comment. But the BayCruiser 26 is just about as big as is possible and legal for a trailer-sailer. There is no one perfect boat, everything is a compromise, and the BayCruiser 23 has some advantages and disadvantages in comparison. Easier to trail and to rig, still works for 2 people. OK, smaller. less headroom, portapotti the only realistic toilet option, etc etc. The danger to be avoided is that the boat doesn't get used if kept at home. Getting the boat on the water must not be a logistical nightmare, and the 23 is at the limits of my current (in)experience and capabilities when doing so single-handed. I'm 6ft and not a complete weakling.

And, the smaller the boat, the more the fun!

I fully expect a BRe owner to pop up to agree with that last sentiment. It's true, perhaps, that one might find it less expensive and more comfortable overall to overnight occasionally on a BRe and to B&B [hot showers!] whilst on one's sailing holiday. Of course, not sailing at all is another solution to the hot shower problem, and we've all rejected that! :-)

Mr1

Many thanks. Much appreciate the guidance.
I think an upgrade to Cat B - if its not structural (e.g. just with raising the companionway threshold etc) - would open up further possibilities - even if only in the sea of imagination! Not sure if the same can be done for the Coast 250.

Sea Simon

I had need to go down to look at my racing dinghy (new 2018), and to my surprise find that it too is a RCD Cat C.
See photos - No stern at all, and almost nil freeboard!
The plot thickens?

If all this nonsense didn't affect me directly, it might not bother me - but it has, so it does! It also happens that I have some time on my hands...

After some Googling - My understanding of the RCD/RCR palaver is that the Directive was more about trade/business than marine safety?
This is perhaps evidenced by the fact that the RCR is enforced by Trading Standards/Weights & Measures rather than the UK Maritime & Coastguard Agency (MCA regulators & enforcers of most things "maritime", or EMSA (The European Marine Safety Agency - although exactly what they do/did regulate/enforce is rather less clear!).
See - https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/950712/Guide-to-recreational-craft-regulations-2017-tp.pdf
This doc is sponsored by "The Office for Product Safety & Standards" UK Gov.

From what I can see, the Cat B/C differential seems to seems to place quite an additional administrative burden on manufacturers, and therefore significant costs too as it seems they are required to engage with Surveyors/Inspectors from "Technical Authorities", "Approved Bodies" or "Notified bodies" (take your pick, but I'll bet they are thin on the ground in W Wales?).

Simply put - it seems to me, that it may well be possible for builders to "self-Certify" to Cat C, but Cat B is quite literally a different league.
Perhaps in terms of hardware, but certainly in terms of bureaucracy, admin & paperwork - Oh, and cost?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Llafurio

Quote from: Sea Simon on 09 Jul 2021, 17:48
... it seems to me, that it may well be possible for builders to "self-Certify" to Cat C, ...

Cat. "C" IS self-certified by builder. Believe it or not.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27". Homeport: Rossdohan