Mooring rigs

Started by Dick Turnbull, 01 Jun 2024, 12:43

Previous topic - Next topic

Dick Turnbull

I have recently bought a BRE which I intend to keep on a swinging mooring. Do any members have any comments on the best way to 'rig' a mooring? i.e. Is the 'trailer ring' on the bow strong enough on it's own or should I put mooring warps on the mooring buoy to attach to the boats forward cleats via the guides by the bowsprit?
Any comments would be welcome.
Thanks, Dick Turnbull.

Robin

I kept my BRe on a swinging mooring in an exposed spot. I used a plastic coated cable shackled to the tow ring, with a heavy clip at the free end. It worked  fine but I did back it up with a bridle taken from both bow fairleads. The only hitch I had was due to my own carelessness in attaching a zinc plated shackle to the stainless ring at the free end. This disintegrated after only a few weeks, fortunately whilst I was busy clipping onto my mooring rather than after leaving the boat. Otherwise the set up was robust in some rough conditions.

Sea Simon

Thanks GW.

Overall view of my BRe mooring set up.
Ballast generally left in. Interior stays clean/dry due to overall mooring cover.

Note also all the anti seagull devices! You'll  need to think about that too!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

MarkF

I am making a temporary mooring and had the same question about using the bow ring. I can't see an answer in previous posts.

I was going to use a short mooring line with a screw-gate carbine to attach to the towing eye. Then a longer backup line to the deck cleat. The idea behind putting the main load through the towing ring is to resolve the chafe issue , as the line through the fairlead will normally be slack (May need to tie it down so it doesn't pop out of the fairlead).

Does this seem like a suitable idea? I thought the bow towing eye ought to be strong enough to moor the boat, given its use hauling it onto the trailer
BR20 Gunter-rigged