Luff reefing lines

Started by TheOldDuffer, 20 May 2024, 10:36

Previous topic - Next topic

TheOldDuffer

On one outing last season my luff reefing lines got tangled such that I disconnected them just to get the sail up and start sailing. Now I can't remember how they go back. I have the though the jam cleat and block and through the holes in the sail, but where are they anchored?

On another note, how do you keep the aft reefing lines out of the way when using the stack pack?
"Mostly Harmless": BRe 2022, sail No. 117, asymmetric, anchoring system, Coppercoated, grey with grey livery, Yamaha 6HP, stack pack, carbon boom and mizzen mast.

TheOldDuffer

"Mostly Harmless": BRe 2022, sail No. 117, asymmetric, anchoring system, Coppercoated, grey with grey livery, Yamaha 6HP, stack pack, carbon boom and mizzen mast.

Sea Simon

I'll try then...
My recollection,  best as, is that the dead end tails of the reefing lines are rigged as loops around the boom, forming bowline loops. Loosish, not tight, so that they can self-position along the length of the boom as they settle. Something like the attached diag?

The bights, or bunts of the loose reefing lines (when not in use) leading forward to the clam cleats on the boom, were on my boat held up out of the way by Velcro loops around the boom and the lines so preventing the hanging loops.

No idea how applicable any of this may be if the boat has a stackpack. Mine didn't.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

garethrow

Like Simon, I don't have a stack pack, so not sure if that makes a difference. I have just re-rigged my BR20 reefing lines after a winters varnishing of the boom, so I hope I have remembered correctly:

One end if the reefing line (and outhaul) has a frictionless ring spliced on to it, or at least mine do! Start with this and make a figure of 8 knot about 2" down from the ring. Pass the other loose end through the small hoop bracket on the boom (on the same side as your clam cleats) and pull all the way through until it comes up against the figure of 8 knot. Make another figure of 8 knot hard up against the hoop so that the line cannot slide through the hoop in either direction – thereby securing your ring around 2" away from the hoop.

Pass the tail end under the boom and up through the matching hoop bracket on the opposite side of the boom. Take the tail end up to the reefing point / hole on the leech of the sail and thread it through to pass back down to your frictionless ring. Through the ring and forward along your boom to your clam cleat.

Repeat for the other reef line.

I hope this helps

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y mor

TheOldDuffer

That doesn't sound like mine at all!

I have two rings on the luff of the sail. I'm guessing that after passing through the cleat and block, the reefing lines pass through these rings. I had thought that they would lead down to anchor points on the boom but the lines are too short, I think. Maybe they are just held at the ring by a stop knot?

TheOldDuffer

not a stop knot but a bowline through the ring

The Lazy Sheet

My BRe 001 has an overly-complex reefing system but it works well - so I'm sure it will be different to yours. That aside, if I can help through a Facetime call, please IM me.
Willie
BRe 001: Susannah (formerly Grace). Asymmetric, 6Hp, Jeckell's Rather Excellent Cockpit Tent

boomerangben

Pants. Only just seeing this when I'm heading away for a week. I will try to remember to take a photo of mine and share when I get back next week.

Loose reefing lines are a pain but I try to lay the slack along a fold in the reefed part of the sail.

TheOldDuffer

After an initial confusion, Matt, via Lara, got back to to me. The luff reefing lines indeed do not go back down to be anchored at the boom, but are merely tied through the rings with a bowline.

The loops of leach reefing lines are still a pain! :D