Please help ! Boom cassette fitting to mast.

Started by Cara, 01 Aug 2024, 12:32

Previous topic - Next topic

Cara

As a new owner of a BRe sail No:102, which I have recently bought.
Would any one be able to help in my understanding of the connection of the boom cassette to the mast (photo 3) While we were dismantling the boom from the mast, in trying to re-fit the clamping knob back into the mast at position No:1 on the attached photo there was nothing to thread the screw knob back into. Is there a threaded plate on the inside of the mast ? there are two screws just above the position, what are they for?

The bottom of the mast has been sealed with a cap (see No:2 on photo) is this possible to remove, to gain access to inside fitting ?  I have been able to remove the cap  but vision is blocked by two strongly glued blocks for the mast bolt. No loose bits to be seen.

Thank you so much!

Kevin

Cara

I have managed to remove the mast base cap, by standing the mast up straight  was then able with the help of an old wire clothes hanger to pull out the fitting shown in the photo below.

A small steel plate 90mm x 20mm x 4mm the two screws hold the plate on the inside of the mast and the cassette knob screws into the hole and into the large nut, I did notice there is a slight bend at the large nut end away from the mast when tightened has this placed pressure on the two screws in my case  stripping the threads and allowed the fitting to fall inside the mast, I would suggest one to check their fittings and if possible add a little locktite to the threads when reassembling (only take one out at a time) can't see its going to be easy to repair and get back in to place . I will let you know?

Cara

I had two new nuts welded (6mm thread) onto the plate and had the plate threaded as well. It all fitted well this morning added a little loctite to the screws to stop any vibration and coming loose.
Originally I would say when made at the yard the heat of the weld on the large nut caused the plate to bend, this then put a lot of pressure on the two screws eventually after 3 years, stripped the threads on the screws.
I did ask Swallow Yachts for advice, rather than rushing in and causing any damage to a new boat to me, but they said "It's not possible for us to go into the detailed workings of second hand boats that people purchase"  On the same day they sent me the new price list and had available dates to build a new BR21. ???

globetrot

Hi Kevin,

I appreciate you sharing the photos of the plate, which typically would be inside the mast. I also wondered what it looked like. I hope your fix works and your able to secure the cassette in place.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit