BR17 For Sale

Started by DavidBotterill, 22 Jun 2024, 13:32

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidBotterill

Nona Me is now a 'classic' Bay Raider since Swallow halted production of the 17. She was constructed of ply and epoxy and built Swallow kit in 2012 with some strengthening hardwood additions to her foredeck. Her build instruction file is included in the sale. She is registered on the OGA Boat Register as 3270 Nona Me (3270) (oga.org.uk) , see original and revised livery photographs. I purchased her in 2017 and during the winter/spring of 2022/23 she underwent a complete refinishing following my attendance on a short course in Renovation and Finishing with Colin Henwood at the Boat Building Academy in January 2023.
Original paints and finishes were sanded back and the hull was filled, where necessary, with Epifanes Epoxy Filler, and resurfaced using top grade marine products to: top sides Hempel Mulitcoat – 3 coats; hull and rudder (Epifanes Poly-urethane Primer – 2 coats and Epifanes Two Pack 811 Grey Mist - 3 coats); sole, outboard well and lockers (Hempel Underwater Primer and Hempel Bilge paint); and hull under the water line and centre plate (Hempel Underwater Primer – 2 coats and Hard Racing antifouling – 2 coats). The four Andersen self- bailer hull fittings were removed, serviced, or replaced at this time. The bright work was stripped back and re-varnished with Hempel Classic Varnish. The mast and bowsprit were sanded back and treated with Sikkens Cetol 7. The decks are of Red Cedar and were sanded back and treated with clear Semco. She was re-launched at the OGA60 celebrations on the Orwell in August 2023.
Bespoke cockpit cushions and back rests were commissioned in 2018. A new s/s tabernacle was designed and fitted in 2023 along with a s/s transom ladder. A NASA Depth sounder was fitted in 2024. She comes with a CLH trailer, trailing cover, 'mast up to mizzen' cover ( both2018), and cuddy. An additional cut down main, a spare sprit boom, and a jib boom are also supplied. She is currently rigged without the self-tacking jib boom, and with a topping lift. She easily converts for dinghy cruising using a board and slats that fit between the locker thwarts and a simple tent. Her original jib and mizzen sails had sacrificial strips added by Ratseys (Neyland) and a asymmetric spinnaker was commissioned from  Hyde Sails in 2018. Her Yamaha F4 was purchased in 2010 and has been regularly professionally serviced (last service June 22, 2024), a Yamaha o/b lock is used. A remote fuel tank is available. Oars, rowing thwart, and rowlocks are fitted. Four fenders and two over-the-gunnels fenders and two anchors complete the inventory.
She can be viewed in Cardiff (and briefly at Mylor) and will be available after the Swallow Boat Mylor Raid, July 15-19 2024. For more information message me on davidbotterill30@gmail.com
For Sale at £9250. 

Robert1351

Hello David

I saw your post advertising your Bayraider 17 for sale today. Please could you send me some pictures and any details you have not already mentioned? I'm wondering what ongoing maintenance might be required in due course?

I'm boat-less at present, having sold my RS aero a couple of years ago due to family commitments. Hopefully I'll be able to get back on the water again and a classic vessel might do the job, I'm thinking. It might also fit in my garage whereas a br20 might not...

Regards
Robert England
Shropshire

DavidBotterill

Robert
Thanks for getting touch. I've got lots of pictures I can send you of her recent re-finishing process and of her as she is now. Do you have an email address? It would be much easier for me to send you some pictures and continue our conversation that way rather than through the Forum. Ongoing maintenance would be very light for the next few years. Given the durability of all painted surfaces, it would be limited to seasonal varnishing, and deck treatment with Semco (I've some left, its just applied with a clean rag). Mast and bowsprit - a coat of Sikkens Cetol 7 now and again. Happy to pass on any surface materials that you would like.
I'll measure up the boat on the trailer for you to check about your garage dimensions, if that would help?
Regards
David

davidbotterill30@gmail.com