Hallo and goodbye

Started by Michael Rogers, 18 Jun 2024, 19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Rogers

Hallo everyone

It's a long time (several years at least) since I contributed, and new-ish contributors won't recognise my name. The old hands will think, 'Oh no, not him again - always banging on about junk rig'. I go way back to "Swallow Boats" and  kit builds. I did two. The more recent was/is my pride and joy, 12 ft Trouper 12 'Cavatina,  built ten years ago and still in fine fettle. The junk rig bit is because she is indeed junk rigged. I will say this only once (more): the best rig of all if you want a fast, stable, sea-kindly way of getting around in a small boat.

What this is leading up to is to let you all know that my sailing days are over. I will be 86 this coming Saturday, and (as you will all discover somewhere down the line) one loses the physical strength to cope. It's simple, sad and inevitable. Avoiding sentimentality (I hope), I would like to thank, from the bottom of my heart, those of you who have sailed with me in the past. It's been the greatest fun, and the happy memories come flooding in. Thank you!

There are practical issues. I need to find a new home for my beloved 'Cavatina'. She is in excellent fettle, and has many years of exhilarating sailing still in her. She was designed for sliding gunter rig with a foresail; she would take a standing lugsail very well (a Lymington scow set up perhaps?); and she's best of all as she is, with MODERN junk rig.

I will do a 'For Sale' notice in due course. Meanwhile, if any of you might be interested, or know of anyone ditto, please let me know - an email is simplest. Money may, or may not, change hands, but BY FAR THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS FOR ME TO FIND SOMEONE WHO WILL CHERISH CAVATINA AS SHE DESERVES.

I also have a scarcely used Thrustme Kicker outboard to dispose of. Money will certainly be involved in that! I am inclined to give any future owner of "Cavatina" first refusal on that one, so watch this space.

That's it. Cue the violins - or in my case bassoons, because I'm still playing one.

Michael Rogers

Graham W

We'll miss you Michael.  I hope the rest of us are lucky enough to be still sailing into our eighties and, on occasion, unexpectedly leaving the rest of the fleet astern like you did on Ullswater.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

Michael

Good to hear from you again, though sad to hear of your retirement from sailing. I have fond memeries of you and Cavatina at the Teifi Rally sailng off to the horizon. If I hadn't built myself a Passagemaker winter of 21/22, I would have definitely been interested in Cavatina to sail off the beach here in Aberporth when the tides aren't right on the Teifi for Helen Y Mor.  I almost wish I had tried to fit a Junk Rig to the Passagemeker as the lugsail rig is not brilliant upwind particulalry when the tide is against you as well! I did try to persuade SY to sell me a Trouper kit - to no avail. I think they will make you one (for a price!) and they are certainly excellent boats as are the Storms.

All the best with the basoon playing.

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor ex S17 Gwennol Teifi

Ged

Hi Michael
It's amazing that you've carried on for so long, my Dad is your age and can hardly stand up!

I've been considering a smaller dinghy for the days when I can't get my Storm 17 to the water, I would like to discuss Cavatina with you...

I'll send a PM

Cheers

Ged

Ged
Storm 17 'Peewit'

Richard Walkerley

So glad to hear of another Trouper 12 on the forum.

I bought one almost by accident when I put a low offer on Ebay and 'won'

Lovely and light boat and will get more use of her now that I am selling my BR20