BR 20 is my engine too heavy

Started by jackbadstock, 18 Jun 2024, 20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

jackbadstock

I live in an area of strong tides with narrow channels. I recently bought a BR 20 and just getting to grips with it. I have put a Yamaha 6 hp engine in it. To my surprise it appears the self draining hole is on the water line. Have I installed too big an engine? I thought 6hp was recommended. Help.

Graham W

4-6hp engines of most brands are heavy (25-27 kg) but the BR20 should easily cope and lots of owners have them. 

Which self-draining hole are you referring to?  If you mean a self-bailer in the sump (just ahead of the outboard transom), it's normal when it's open to let in a few inches of water when stationary or below about four knots.  It doesn't do any harm but if it bothers you, the answer is to keep the bailer closed at lower speeds. If you mean the inspection hatch between the sump and the outboard well, it doesn't matter at all but it's normal to keep it closed.

To balance things out a bit, it helps to keep heavier equipment (anchor and chain, separate fuel tank if you have one) and crew towards the front.  This helps with speed too!
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Llafurio

Jack,

the Yamaha 6 is a particularly heavy outboard, because it is a 2-cylinder. Lovely thing, but IMO far too heavy for the BR stern.
Try the featherlight 13.5 kg Suzuki 2.5 for total contrast, and you will be amazed, how nicely that pushes the boat at hull speed.
The BRs were originally designed as genuine sail & oar competition Raidboats, and so for lightweight Suzuki 2.5 or the Honda 2.3 last-mile auxiliary engines. It was only later that non-raiding guys demanded more oomph, and a reverse.
Which is a problem with the outboarder well lamellae, because only the small Suzuki and the Honda have a round  leg which can turn 360 degrees without upsetting the lamellae. Bigger engines all have a flat leg profile which does upset the lamellae when turned. Even the slightly bigger Tohatsu 3.5 is unsuitable for that reason.

The weight of the outboard engine is very important for the BRs. You CAN hang big heavy engines like the Yamaha 6, but they are much more powerful than required, and IMO and expertise they ruin the sailing and sail & oar raiding experience of these fine boats. The lighter the engine, the better the sail.
: Your choice.
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27". Homeport: Rossdohan

Graham W

I'm compelled to point out that in 2013 Turaco and its crew won the Sail Caledonia sail & oar raid from one side of Scotland to the other despite having a 25kg Mariner 6 hanging off the back.  Having a crew member heaving on each of its four enormous oars may have helped.  And it may also have helped to jettison the heaviest crew member during the sailing legs by selflessly volunteering him to man the safety RIB.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

garethrow

Jack

As Clause says, each to their own choice. Like you, I sail in narrow channel / strong tidal estuary = The Teifi. My previous boat, a Storm 17, coped well with this with a 2.3 Honda. I did not feel that this engine would cope with the much heavier and larger BR20 though in these conditions and the yard supported this decision. It may just about push you through a 3 knot tide and a bit of head wind but it would be marginal. Add in a strong headwind, perhaps feeling cold / wet / tired, then having spare hp is very reassuring. In an organised raid there is usually some sort of safety boat to help in distress; most of my sailing is alone without any prospect of assistance - so I spend a lot of effort in keeping my Yamaha 6 in top notch condition and running just on Aspen type fuel. I would dearly love to change to an electric E Propulsion motor which is approx equivalent to 2.5 to 3hp but just don't think it has enough power / safety margin to get me out of trouble when I might most need it.

So, given your sailng conditions I would say tha tyou have not bought the wrong engine, but each to their own decision!

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Sea Simon

AFAIK, the current Yamaha (like the Honda) 4,5,6 are the same single cylinder engines, just fuelled differently to produce more power (and to increase the price, of course!).

My BRe was fine with a Honda 5, which was needed due to local tidal conditions and boat loading with passengers.

Where/what exactly is your "self draining hole"?

Those Andersen self bailers always leak, to some degree. Don't fret too much.
The round hole in the motor transom can be made watertight. Perhaps you need a new o-ring on the hatch?  Try silicon grease?

Added.
I was curious. Checked makers...
There seems to be two Yamaha 6hp. The B6 being 2 cylinder at 38kg (and close to twice the price of the 1 cyl), and the single cylinder at 28kg ish...

The Honda 1cyl series are all 27kg.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

jackbadstock

Many thanks for all the wise replies. I was a little concerned, now I am not fretting as advised. Many thanks again, all very reassuring.
Jack