Variation in colour of Iroko

Started by Nigel Baker, 22 Jun 2024, 21:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Nigel Baker

Hi, My Bay Cruiser 21 is very near to completion and the yard has emailed me a couple of photos of her and she looks superb. But one thing I was struck by was the variation of the colour of the iroko used on the rubbing strake on the port side [I have yet to see the other side!], particularly where the scarf joint is. The iroko has been finished with Woodskin and this makes the variation in colour even more pronounced. I am being told that it is now very difficult to find iroko of a consistent colour and wondered if any other owners of recent builds had experienced a similar issue.

My last boat was a Crabber 22 built for me in 2010, and sold almost exactly a year ago, and certainly Crabbers had no problem finding iroko of a consistent colour, but that was 14 years ago. I do not want to suggest that Cornish Crabbers was a paragon of virtue as the bowsprit was so poorly finished it had to be replaced before delivery, and the self draining cockpit would not drain! Much had to be done under warranty.

I would value thoughts about the colour of the iroko.

Many thanks.

Cara

The colour may change over time, it looks stunning! you should be over the moon with excitement to get her home and go sailing!

Llafurio

Quote from: Nigel Baker on 22 Jun 2024, 21:17

I would value thoughts about the colour of the iroko.

I would think it is not a problem, but a feature.

P.S.
I bought 4 new boats from them and never looked at the colour of the iroko.
CR
Ex various Drascombes, ex SeaRaider (WE) #1 "Craic", ex BR20 (GRE) "Llafurio", ex BR20 (GRP) "Tipsy", currently BRE (modified for open sea passages) "Homer", Drascombe Drifter "27". Homeport: Rossdohan

Graham W

Many posts on here suggest that the standard hardwood used on the boats is (or was) Utile rather than Iroko.  Utile is softer and a bit cheaper and maybe it's easier to match colours.

Also, the standard coating is (or used to be) Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 rather than Woodskin.  Cetol comes in a range of colours that can be used to disguise variations in the colouring of the coated wood.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III