Exceptional BayRaider Expedition for sale.

Started by Royboy, 02 Jul 2024, 17:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Royboy

Swallow Yachts BayRaider Expedition

This is a unique opportunity to buy a pristine, example of this craft

She is in exceptional condition. Maintained regardless of cost and presents in "as new" condition.

This really is not to be missed and worth coming to see.  She is quite exceptional.

Having met Matt Newland at the London Boat Show and subsequently taken a test sail with him in Cardigan, I asked him to build this very special boat for me to enjoy with my wife in our retirement. It has a host of extras, including a Torqedo electric outboard that Matt fitted for me including routing the battery and controller wires from a cockpit locker to the body of the engine, the engine is controlled by a Torqedo remote.  He also made a cockpit galley for her stored in one of the lockers, which can be removed to be used on a beach.  We hoped to spend long weekends or even weeks away in her.

Immediately after taking delivery, 8 months later, I delivered the boat to a top quality canopy manufacturer where I spent in excess of £5k having fully bespoke, top quality, covers made namely:

Full all over cover, mizzen cover, jib cover, custom spray hood and most importantly, a cockpit tent giving a full 6ft of head room and black out curtains.  This gives such night time accommodation that is not normally found in such a craft.  This cockpit tent has only been up once and is effectively new.  It is designed to fold down quickly and store, including its stainless arches, behind the mizzen mast allowing the boat to be sailed with it in this collapsed state, meaning it can be put back up again in 2 minutes. I am not aware of any other BRe with such accommodation available.  I have had a lifetime afloat and used all my experience and contacts to make this super little craft a truly fantastic weekend or longer trailer sailer.

When that was complete I personally fitted out the interior with American ash, reading lights and fitted wireless Tack Tick wind and depth instruments.

Sadly before we could retire my wife was diagnosed with cancer.  She underwent major surgery, chemo and herceptin treatments, which have taken their toll.  She no longer has the energy to undertake such physical activities.

Please don't feel sorry for us, she is out the other end and still here, its just that we are now following a different retirement plan.

I kept the boat because I absolutely love it.  It is absolutely immaculate and without issue, if a boat can be described as turn key ready this is it.  It sails almost on its own and is an absolute joy.

She is at Carsington Sailing Club (and always has been) on her braked trailer.  She has never seen salt water and never been on a mooring.

She even has an electric trailer winch to remotely bring her out of the water onto the trailer with the use of a wireless pocket remote control or if you prefer an unused wired remote is in the box.  The winch has been replaced very recently as the original one stopped working.

She presents like a boat less than 12 months old, rather than one that is 10 years old.  She has only ever been sailed at carsington water (fresh) and then only 3 to 5 times per season.  She has been totally spoiled with attention and really needs to be seen to be believed.  She looks new!

I really want someone to buy and appreciate her for what she is.

Very very lightly used exceptional condition BRe with interior fittout including lighting, cushions and side pockets
Fitted and wired Torqedo outboard
Tack Tick wireless wind and depth instruments
Braked trailer with electric winch and remotes
Substantial canvas covers giving fantastic protection to the boat and sails as is evident
Bespoke Cockpit Spray Hood and connecting Cockpit tent with 6 ft head room
Cockpit Galley
Expensive tiller tamer to aid single handed sailing
4 x fenders and blue cloth "jumpers"
Flexiteak to cockpit floor and seats
Even has fishing rod holders on the stern

Lots more photos available

£27500    07729 166006   Or.  wearing63@gmail.com

To replace this boat today would cost well in excess of £40k

As you might imagine this is a very reluctant sale, however she should be being used and enjoyed, not just polished and admired!

I am not desperate to sell and am not interested in silly low offers – this is an exceptional BRe

Bay Raider expedition No 19

Royboy

Hi guys

I am surprised no one has replied or contacted me over this boat.

It is truly as new

I thought (and members of my sailing club concurred) I priced it correctly?

Any thoughts?

Roy

Nicky R

I think it's a difficult time to sell boats at the moment. There was a time just after Covid when boat sales went crazy, with people selling very quickly for a lot of money. Things are different now. When we tried to sell our BRE a couple of years ago it took about six months. My parents just took months to sell their Cornish Crabbers pilot cutter, and it went for a substantial amount less than they'd asked for her.

To check whether the price is right, I would have another look at the other boats that have been placed on here in the past couple of years and see what they were advertised for, how old they are, what rig they have and what they came with as I think all of those are important. I'd also look at which boats reduced their asking prices to see how quickly they did it and what the reductions were.
Bay Cruiser 23 #080 Sulis
Ex BRe #001 Grace

Sea Simon

I tend to agree with Nicky R...but always hard to discover what boats actually sell for. Yacht brokers will certainly lie ;)

Imho, and not that lm selling or buying anything significant atm.

BREXIT and covid pushed prices of all "man toys" (apologies,  lady readers) cars/mbikes/boats/watches etc hereabouts to crazy levels!
Also restricted our access to French n Dutch boats for us in UK. Vat to pay on euro imports now. 20% on a second hand boat! I made enquiries  about several French boats, but the VAT included price killed any possible deal.

Things have definitely changed now. My Kids are buying/selling houses and that market seems very quiet.
I see a few "optimisticly priced" boats about, and pals have been able to get good discounts.  But if these discounts relate to brexit/covid prices, then who's fooling who?

Is normality returning? I'm even getting competitive offers on lease cars again now...
Hopefully they would now be delivered as specified...unlike my ex bosses posh new merc,  which had more buttons/functions blanked off by grotty plastic plugs than my wife's budget skoda!
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Julian Merson

Here's my experience, having sold a few things this year, including a car, a boat (BC20) and an outboard, I think patience is important. Important to add that I'm no wheeler-dealer...
The number of people looking for boats is small, the number looking for niche, well-equipped and, hence, expensive variants of models which can be found for much less elsewhere is considerably smaller.  There are some who like a basic model which they can modify, and others who like models with loads of extras for which someone else has realised a need.  And these people enter and leave the market all the time, so a lot of luck is involved. 
Importantly, you can always reduce the price in order to increase interest, but you can never increase the price once sold, so better to start from where you are and work from there. 
It took my BC20 six months to sell.  I used brokerage through Swallow Yachts.  I used brokerage because I previously tried selling my old Drascombe Coaster privately and quickly got fed up with the hours it took to show people around, rig, de-rig, etc and then for them to turn it down.  Also, I hoped that the main dealer would be a 'honey pot' for people interested in such boats.  For a selling price, I imagined the price I'd be prepared to accept and added about 15%. Ultimately it went for close to what I'd imagined but with the brokerage fee extracted.
Interestingly, around Xmas, they had a large number of boats on brokerage; now they have just two.  So something must be shifting somewhere.
Hope this helps.
Deben Lugger 'Daisy IV'

Ex BC20 'Daisy III'. Www.daisyiii.blogspot.com
Ex Drascombe Coaster 'Daisy II'
Ex Devon Lugger 'Daisy'

Royboy

Thanks guys.... I have spoken to Matt... he knows me well, and if it doesn't go by Christmas I will let him sell it I think....   I'm not ready to drop the price on what is an extremely well equipped, as new, boat

Thanks again

Roy