Berlingo towing

Started by RogerLennard, 11 Jul 2024, 22:09

Previous topic - Next topic

RogerLennard

I am considering acquiring a Citroen Berlingo as they seem to have masses of space for gear, are relatively cheap and available. However,  the biggest engine is a 1.6. Would this pull 750kg of BR20 on its trailer?

Ray S

Have been towing our BRe with a 1.6l Skoda Octavia Estate very happily for eight years or so - though it is a diesel.

Graham W

For several years I towed a braked trailer and BR20 (850kg altogether) with a 1.4 litre petrol VW Golf.  I'm not sure how it would have coped with an unbraked trailer.  The Berlingo's specifications should state the maximum towing weights, which may vary with the type and size of its engine.
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

Sea Simon

It depends, imho...

Berlingo. Diesel (lots more torque, heavier, generally higher towing capacities  but see car manual/stats) or petrol? Manual or auto trans?

BR20 trailer. Braked or unbraked? Past posts on here suggest the actual towed weight likely to be more than 750kg?

Planned duty? ie home to local slip, or say Cornwall to Scotland?

Like many hereabouts, I've pushed my luck occasionally,  most recently towing my braked BC26 trailer (EMPTY!) About 50 miles behind my 1.6 petrol Ford Focus "crapmobile" . I feel that trailer may be about 1T,  MT.
Trailer very much in charge of the car  :-\ Even with 4 bags of sand ballast in the car.
...and very hard on the clutch too.
Towed it OK, probably legal? but was not "comfortable " and most certainly not relaxing!
I wouldn't fancy a hill start on a wet hill, never mind a muddy slipway.

My last VW Tiguan 2.0 diesel auto 4x4 towed my BRe without even noticing it. Just pop on the adaptive cruise control and relax....
However Tiguan £40k, Ford Focus £1k (at best!)...
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

RogerLennard

Here is some more information that I failed to put in my first post... My BR20 is on a braked trailer. I currently pull it with my VW golf estate. This car has a 2 litre diesel engine and does the job well. I was considering the Berlingo car(which is cheaper to tax than the van version) as it seems to have a lot more load space than my golf. They also seem quite readily available, cheap and I could sleep in the boot if I needed to.

It was interesting that Ray S has a diesel Skoda 1.6 that can do the job. The Berlingos don't seem to come in anything bigger than a 1.6 diesel. The data suggest that the Berlingo is rated to 1300kg for a braked trailer. The Berlingo is therefore legal to pull the BR20 but would it be ok on slipways and hills? Are torque figures more useful when considering what would be a good tow vehicle and does the Berlingo meet the minimum desired torque for the BR20.

Any thoughts would be gratefully received.

Graham W

The Berlingo 1.6 diesel torque numbers are nearly identical to those of my old Golf (1.4 tsi petrol).  I never had any issues with the engine on either hills or slipways, even steep ones.  The 1300kg braked towing limit on the Berlingo is the same as the Golf and is comfortably in excess of what you might need.

However, areas of potential vulnerability on a steep slipway are burning out the manual gearbox clutch and tyre slip on the Berlingo's front wheel drive.  I can't comment on the first (my car was automatic) but you can counter the second by having all season tyres on the front with lots of tread.
Graham

Ray S

What I'd forgotten about until I was reminded recently is that the specified car towing capability has to be at least that of the max towing weight - for legal/ insurance reasons - indicated on the plate on the trailer. On the braked trailers this is mostly 1400 kg I think. So any car specified for 1400kg will pull a 20ft Swallow with great ease.

Sea Simon

some good points here. A few thoughts?

I also believe tyres are critical, especially on front drive cars. my Focus crapmobile has new tyres, albeit the cheapest "chinesium" tat that I could find! they are NOT good, and as a one-time keen driver you can definitely feel the difference.
I had a mad Golf GTi (345HP, 340 ft/lb T) and it was only driveable on the very best Michelin Pilot Sports, £££. And they had to be changed at 2/3 worn, regardless of legal minimums.

I would think that all-season should help the Berlingo?

Partly to overcome this lack of grip (but also to make trailer manoeuvres more easy - as a "pusher"), on the Focus only, I have fashioned a front tow hitch that fits into the front recovery eye. The weight then being over the driven wheels does make a difference. Recommended...if you can get a legal one.

GW - does your golf have the series feed turbo>supercharger? we've had one of those cars and they are exceptionally torquey for a 1.4 petrol.

RL - whats up with your Golf diesel estate? is it a Euro 4/5 with "ULEZ issues"?
I'm in the market for another (must be cheap, as a back lane hacker!) smallish estate car. Too few hereabouts, too many, too bulky SUVs nowadays.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

RogerLennard

Some great wisdom here. Thank you everyone.

Hello Sea Simon, there is little wrong with my Golf Estate. It is a 2015 mk7. Great mpg and only £20 per year road tax. I wouldn't want to get rid of it yet. It is still sweet at 110,000 miles. I was looking at a Berlingo as more of a workhorse to carry larger loads/bikes or  sleep in (occasionally) if sleeping in the boat was not an option.

Graham W

Quote from: Sea Simon on 14 Jul 2024, 10:00
GW - does your golf have the series feed turbo>supercharger? we've had one of those cars and they are exceptionally torquey for a 1.4 petrol.

I traded it in for a Volvo AWD after 12 years and 150,000 miles.  It certainly had a turbo and seemed very quick for such a small engine.
Graham