BR 20 Rigging Guide

Started by johnkenny, 24 Jul 2024, 15:39

Previous topic - Next topic

johnkenny

Hello all,

I am the proud owner of a new (to me) BR 20 (2021, No. 114). I had a very useful handover with Matt in the factory and towed her home to Ireland a few weeks ago. I am going to rig her myself tomorrow for the first time. I am anticipating my own shortcomings and was wondering if there is any general guide (other than the 2010 manual which I have and which is very useful) to rigging a BR 20 from scratch. The idea being to rig and de rig on land a few times before going anywhere.

I have, (using my limited technical skills!) searched the forums and have found lots of technical questions on discreet issues but no general rigging guide.

Apologies if this is a faux pax committed by new owners on a regular basis but all help appreciated.

Kind Regards,

John

Graham W

John,

Congratulations on your new boat.  It's a very good idea to do some land sailing (and reefing and unreefing) before heading out on the water.

I don't think that there is a general guide to first time rigging on the forum or in the library, other than the 2010 manual that you mention.  I'm guessing that because your BR is quite recent, you may have a Bermudan mainsail and conventional jib rather than the original gunter rig and self-tacking jib from years back. In which case the manual is not very helpful.  I'm sure that someone with the Bermudan rig will be able to help.

As an aside, you say that you are in Ireland - North or South (and therefore in the EU)?  If the latter, did you have to pay VAT on an import from the UK despite it already having been paid when new?
Graham
Gunter-rigged GRP BR20 #59 Turaco III

johnkenny

Graham,

Thanks for that - eventually got rigged, de-rigged, rigged and out sailing over the course of a long afternoon, after having made loads of daft mistakes with the rigging that got ironed out over a few hours.

So far so lovely, even with a fairly steep learning curve.

The boat was comping back to ROI. I didn't pay VAT although on one construction of the rules it might have been required. VAT has already been paid on the full price and frankly its absolutely daft to have to pay it again. I was not stopped and I didnt volunteer to go and have the VAT row with our Revenue officials.

John

globetrot

Hi John,

Congratualtions! If the assumptiona about your rig is correct (that you have a Bermudan rig with a conventional jib) I may be able to help you with any of your rigging questions. I have not written a "guide", though I intend on creating one for myself so I don't forget to do anything specifically when trailering. However, the guide still exists in my to-do list.

I own #110, so I imagine our boats are very similar. You're welcome to post here or message me directly.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit