BayCruiser 21

Started by David Hughes, 15 Aug 2024, 14:53

Previous topic - Next topic

David Hughes

I'm strongly considering BC21 as my next boat and I believe I have read and watched all that is available on line. I like what I see and I think it ticks most of my boxes but being in the United States, I would like to hear others thoughts. Frankly, I don't see a lot on this forum with regards to this new design. I did reach out to Nigel (BC21 No. 6). He has actually sold his already for personal reasons and has moved on to motor boating. He did like the boat but still found access to the bow of the boat difficult with the dodger up. Now that there have been several more built,  I was hoping to get some additional insight on how people have found the new BC21. What they like and more importantly, what they don't. And is it truly an improvement of the BRe? I have sat in a BRe and a BC23, both on the hard but never sailed either. I did see a BR20 sailing locally but from afar.

Thank you.
David Hughes
Cape Elizabeth, Maine USA

Ray S

Very interesting to see your post David. I sailed on a Wayfarer dinghy cruising rally based at Hermit Island Camp Ground a few miles north across the bay from Cape Elizabeth some years back and it was a truly great sailing area.  It seems like a fine area for Swallow boats. Moving on from Wayfarers eight years ago we bought our BRe and have thoroughly enjoyed our time with her, but we moved house and thought we'd appreciate the extra overnighting space of the BC21. I concur with all the differences described on the Swallow website and on YouTube videos. Somehow while keeping the hull length the same, the cockpit space is even greater for day sailing and the cabin is much more accessible with the added benefit of in-cabin stowage for a portaloo, batteries and other items under the cockpit floor. Accessibility to the bow is hugely better round the side decks, with the added benefit of anchor stowage there. Early days yet, but I've found our BC21 very light on the helm, very manoeuvrable and easy to tack. The sloop rig is quicker to rig and de-rig.

You asked for disadvantages - the mast being of a thicker section is noticeably heavier to raise and we miss the rear deck of the BRe on which we had solar panels for our ePropulsion motor. We'll find some other way to add solar capacity when on our mooring. There is a 30w solar panel on the roof for the main battery. The dodger though of good height seems subjectively to be a bit shorter than on the BRe; so not so much protection from the sun.  If you like to have a mizzen then that's a disadvantage too - we enjoyed having it on our BRe, but don't feel its a necessity. Can't think of anything else!

Ray S
BC21 008 Whimsey

David Hughes

Hi Ray,
I have only camped at Hermit Island Campground once. Nice place and great sailing.

How do you find stepping and unstepping the mast and bending the sails on? can you do it yourself and how long does it take, tailer to sailing? How do you store your boat when not in use, mooring, slip, on the trailer fully rigged, or at home completely put to bed?

Do you ever single hand?

Best
Dave

Ray S

Stepping and unstepping mast I prefer someone to tail the jib halyard on the winch and avoid a cross wind.
The boom, boom bag, and sail assembly come with a portion of track (cassette) which separates from the mast with a thumb screw. This assembly then comes off the mast without the need to remove the sail sliders or slugs. This assembly is then held securely again by the thumbscrew in a socket at the back of the cabin and rests at the rear on a support which also supports the mast. Very nice that you don't have to feed in the slugs when re-rigging - just locate the cassette with the thumbwheel again. Swallows have put a lot of thought into the rigging/re-rigging procedure , I was quite surprised at the detailing here. I suppose half an hour , but don't be surprised to see a video from Swallows doing it in 10 minutes.

We're on a fore and aft mooring - fully rigged - on a quite narrow river in the season. Stored rig down with over-cover  during the winter. Sail assembly taken home.

Don't do single handed, so can't advise!

Ray

Ray S

As surmised there is now a YouTube video of Matt derigging a BC21 in under 8 minutes. Very neat ideas include a cleat in the front of the mast normally hidden by the front boom-bag zipper, the cassette system and the mast-boom support.

Still need to strap the boat down to the trailer, mount the lighting board and check the tyres though!

Ray S
BC21 008 'Whimsey'

David Hughes

I watched the video several times. Matt did a great job.

Graham W