BR20 Whisker Pole Setup

Started by globetrot, 02 Sep 2024, 22:49

Previous topic - Next topic

globetrot

For downwind sailing, I contemplated a variety of setups. I don't do serious racing with my BR20, so an affordable, functional, and simple solution became my criteria. In the interest of simplicity, I decided against a gennaker/spinnaker solution. This left me to consider a whisker pole setup for the jib. I was tired of the boat hook solution we've all tried to help stabilize the jib, so I decided to get creative. My idea was somehow to add a whisker pole bracket to the mast.

I sketched out a few ideas and went to see a blacksmith. The result turned out even better than I had hoped.

I had the chance to test it out today and am delighted with its performance.

I am using a Pfeiffer Marine telescoping pole 135-250mm.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Carbon fiber mizzen and mast - Bermuda-rig
Large conventionally sheeted jib with Barton furler on a fixed bowsprit

garethrow

This looks very interesting Louis. Do you have a drawing / sketch that you supplied to your blacksmith for making the fitting?

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y mor

Graham W

I can use a standard aluminium boat hook on my self-tacking jib but doubt that it would work as well on a conventional BR Jib.  The business end of the boat hook is poked into the aft end of the jib boom.  The boat hook has some string on the handle and I just hook this over a bullhorn cleat on the mast.

Altogether more ambitious is a long multi-part whisker pole for my code zero.  It's made from sawn-up castoff windsurf mast lengths that slot into one another. Except for the first length with the gaff jaws, they all fit into the port locker.  It was first used successfully in the English Raid on the Blackwater in 2022 and hasn't seen the right sort of wind since!  Garden sailing photo below.

globetrot

Quote from: garethrow on 03 Sep 2024, 16:05This looks very interesting Louis. Do you have a drawing / sketch that you supplied to your blacksmith for making the fitting?

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
BR20 Halen Y mor

Yes, actually. I did a lot of sketches of how it could work. The ones that didn't make the cut were tossed in the bin. However, I still have the one I provided to the blacksmith.

The only off-the-shelf fitting I used is the ring to which the pole attaches.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

garethrow

Thank you Louis- looks clear and we do have a fabricator nearby who works in stainless steel (same one that makes most of the SY fittings I think). The only disadvantage I can see is having to remove the bracket each time I trail anywhere - as the ratchet strap on a BR20 goes across the front of the tabernacle.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Graham W

Gareth,

I don't know if your trailer set up is different to mine but my front ratchet strap has always gone behind the tabernacle, just in front of where the front of the spray hood is fed into its plastic slots.  I have a second strap much further back.

garethrow

Thanks Graham

Interesting. Do you trail with the sprayhood on? I do - which means the ratchet strap can't go behind the tabernacle without damaging the sprayhood??

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Graham W

Quote from: garethrow on 07 Sep 2024, 15:34Thanks Graham

Interesting. Do you trail with the sprayhood on? I do - which means the ratchet strap can't go behind the tabernacle without damaging the sprayhood??

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Gareth,

Sprayhood sometimes on, sometimes off, depending on the destination.  I've been doing it for years without damage.  I have wide ratchet straps which perhaps distribute any friction better.

garethrow

Thank you Graham - food for thought. I had just assumed that the tension of the straps passing over the folds of the sprayhood would cause damage - I'll have a closer look next time I trail (end of season laying up I fear). If this is possible it makes Louis' pole attachment very viable.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

globetrot

Quote from: garethrow on 06 Sep 2024, 15:42Thank you Louis- looks clear and we do have a fabricator nearby who works in stainless steel (same one that makes most of the SY fittings I think). The only disadvantage I can see is having to remove the bracket each time I trail anywhere - as the ratchet strap on a BR20 goes across the front of the tabernacle.

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRP BR20 Halen Y Mor

Hi Gareth,

I'm a bit lost regarding the ratchet strap restriction you speak of. If you insist on putting a ratchet strap midship during trailering, I imagine you could move it wherever so long as it serves its purpose.

If you prefer to put the ratchet strap in front of the tabernacle, the bracket should not restrict you from doing this. I designed the bracket so it never has to be removed. There is enough clearance in front of the tabernacle to allow the foot of the mast to clear when lowering the mast since the foot swings forward. This is why the bracket extends away from the tabernacle in a semicircle.

I also allowed for space between the deck and the whisker pole ring so that a ratchet strap could be run under the bracket and along the deck. There is 5cm of clearance where the ring is and approximately 2.5 cm where the bracket attaches to the tabernacle. In the photo, I've indicated the point of least clearance (approx. 2.5cm) with a red line.
Hold Fast
Louis Volpe

S/V Vesper #110
BR20 - GRP

Sea Simon

I fitted one of these Holt Allen acetal brackets to my BRe Carbon Fibre mast. Attached to the mast front with Epoxy plus small self tappers.
Used with my self-built carbon F pole for my symmetric spinni. So in this case, fixed about 1m off the deck (as far up as I could reach) no pole uphaul needed because the pole was so lightweight.
Worked well for me. Simple, cheap (£6?), easy.
It should work with a simple whisker pole too?

I used a separate carbon F "fly-away", "automatic" pole system for both my furling and semi-battened race jibs. Ideal when racing single handedly,  or cruising with an inexperienced/unwilling crew. One line pull to either goosewing, or use as a reaching strut to hold the jib clew down and close the top of the jib. This is permanently  attached to the mast, and stows vertically,  parallel to mast. Perhaps £400 in total, rigged?

I've also made a fly-away pole for the relatively small jib on my BC26, but it's more fiddly to use due to the deck-edge gaurd wires causing some obstruction. Quite expensive due to increased length and diameter of carbon F pole needed.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

garethrow

Thanks Louis / Simon for your helpful replies

Simon - the Holt website says this bracket suitable for a 50mm diameter spar whereas the BRE / BR20 mast is rather more than this I think. Is the plastic bracket soft anough to bend flat to the larger circumfrence or did you find a bigger version of the bracket or soften it in hot water first??

Louis - your puzzlement may be a feature of the difference between the BRE and BR20 (no cabin). With the BR20 the strongest point of the hull is around the tabernacle area - so good to have your ratchet strap here. In front of the tabernacle means it is in a good place to prevent the boat going forward in an emergency stop as the hook attachemt points on the trailer are well aft of this. Behind the Tabernacle also serves this purpose / advantage but with some potential snarling (or so I thought) of the spayhood. Graham's experience causes me to re-examine this next time I am trailing. I should add that if you do use your ratchet strap in front of the tabernacle - you have to work hard at putting enough anti chafe padding there to prevent the tabernacle cutting the strap!

Regards

Gareth Rowlands
GRp BR20 Halen Y Mor

Sea Simon

Gareth, I really don't remember the size/diameter being an issue...it was warm, I seem to recall the bracket was quite pliant?
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.