GRP and gelcoat repair courses

Started by Graham W, 04 Sep 2024, 13:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham W

I'm thinking of booking myself on to a course to learn how to do GRP mouldings and especially gelcoat repairs.  There seem to be a few one-day courses about but I'm not sure whether they cover things in enough detail.

Has anyone been on such a course that they are prepared to recommend?  Location within the UK relatively unimportant.

Sea Simon

Graham, many years (25+?) ago my then employers send me on a bespoke FRP boatbuilding familiarisation course at the IBTC, Oulton Broad, Lowestoft. It was two full weeks, (1 day off, but we were rather spoilt, by staying in the nearby Wherry Hotel) ) so perhaps rather more in depth than you need I suspect? However, I do recall it all being very professional and well run.  Excellent facilities  and first class materials/tools. It was also expensive,  even then!
I see from their website that their current 4.5 day offering is appx £800.

https://www.ibtc.co.uk/short-course/glass-reinforced-plastics-4-5-day-course/2024-10-14/

Falmouth Marine School do a 6hr intro/familiarisation course covering GRP boat maintenance, including gel coat repairs. Courses run on many one-off dates over the winter.
At £9!
https://falmouthmarineschool.ac.uk/courses/introduction-to-boat-maintenance-fibreglass/

I went to FMS (on my own account, about 3 years ago?) on an adult-learning day course to update my outboard engine knowledge to cover larger modern computer controlled/fuel injected engines. The facilities/staff were good, but the content (not unreasonably) a little basic for someone with my background. About 30% of content was very useful....but it was free!

I quite fancy the FRP course, over the winter...always plenty to see/do in Falmouth, and in my case about an hours drive away.
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

Graham W

Thanks Simon.  I might be tempted to Falmouth for the £9 course!

There is also an expensive multi-day course in Lyme Regis and a cheaper one on Canvey Island.

Sea Simon

Striking "while the iron is hot", I've booked myself (at least, I've applied...) on to the grp course in January, and the similar wood boat day course in Feb. Unfortunately they all seem to run on Saturdays, rather inconvenient if travelling some distance?

You'll need to dig out your O-level results for the application  form! 😉

If you're in Falmouth, I can recommend  the maritime museum, and the knights in armour, recently jousting at Pendennis Castle was much enjoyed by small boys young and old (grandson too).
BRe # 52 - "Two Sisters"  2016. Plank sprit, conventional jib. Asym spinn. Coppercoat. Honda 5. SOLD Nov 2022....
...From Oct 22.
BC 26 #1001. "Two Sisters 2", 2013. Alloy spars, Bermudan Sloop; fixed twin spade rudders, Beta diesel saildrive. Lift keel with lead bulb. Coppercoat. Cornwall UK.

AndyB

I have seen a course which I quite like the look of £95 for half a day but covers general gel coat repairs which I am looking for as I have some cosmetic repairs on the boat and the quote is high.

https://westcountryboatrepairs.co.uk/boat-repairs-workshops/

Andy
Baycruiser 26 BagPuss

Graham W

The quote is always high and the end result not necessarily satisfactory.  A course like the above could save quite a lot of money in the long term.  I'm also wondering whether the ability to repair centreboards and rudders means that profile-spoiling brass or steel protection strips are no longer needed on the foils?

Anyone taking these courses please report back.

MarkandMary

Pete Vincent at West Country Boat Repairs is good and you'll learn how to make small cosmetic repairs to your gelcoat.  This is not hard, but it is time consuming, and needs patience to avoid widening the area that needs attention. 

Its harder for larger areas (maintaining the profile), and for areas of older gelcoat that have changed colour with age (standard RAL colour matching doesn't always work).  I do all the gelcoat work on my dinghies and the small repairs are pretty much invisible when done - major modifications (e.. remodelling spinnaker chute) are much more challenging and usually take me 2 or 3 attempts to get a passable finish.  I have had problems with colour matching my BRE Pigeon Blue even though the gelcoat is only three years old and always kept covered when not being used - none of the three suppliers I use could get me a match with the RAL number - so I had to add white and blue pigments to get a closer match.  Unless you knew where the repairs are I doubt whether they would be spotted - but they are certainly not invisible.  Colour matching is definitely an expert art - people like Jo Line at the Boat Repair Centre (Weston Super Mare) seem to have the knack
BRE 100 - "Petite Biere".  Dartmouth area.  Also Brixham Trawler B45 - "Pilgrim" and Merlin Rocket 3797 - "Fata Morgana"

Graham W

Perhaps do a short course like West Country or Falmouth and if that doesn't cover everything needed, follow it up with a longer course?

A weird discovery that I made by accident is that on my bottle green hull (RAL 6007), if you paint over minor abrasions to the gelcoat with Sikkens Cetol Filter 7 teak-coloured coating and then wipe it off immediately, you get colour matching and the abrasions more or less disappear.  I can't imagine how that happens!